Fortune favours the brave...

Anything you like.

Moderator: Chantal

Sean
Sugar Bum

Fortune favours the brave...

Post by Sean » Mon May 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Perhaps idiotically I have decided to invest in a new guitar pedal and hopefully two new guitars before I go off to being skint at Uni in september...does anyone know anyone selling a nice but relatively cheap telecaster or Gibson SG? Before I get my soundcontrol store card out and do myself a mischief!?

Thanks
iPOP

wifeofsatan
Not A Newbie

Post by wifeofsatan » Wed May 23, 2007 9:55 am

I don't sorry but Soundcontrol is a great shop, I went to the one in Birmingham on an electric drum kit shopping trip!

TWO new guitars, you are treating yourself indeed...What pedal are you going to get?

Sean
Sugar Bum

Post by Sean » Thu May 24, 2007 9:39 am

Sound Control is the only shop that will give me a £1500 credit limit...nice

I'm getting a Rat distortion pedal...they are lovely
iPOP

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Thu May 24, 2007 10:57 am

If you think you're "idiotic" to plan to buy two guitars and a pedal, I'll put it into perspective for you. I'm considering taking out a bank loan of £50 so I can put fuel in my car. I'm that skint. Yesterday I made serious plans to buy not one, not two, but three classic European sports cars on borrowed money. If you're idiotic, what would that make me?

By the way, I asked around, and everyone now hates me.
"You think I'd have a fucking shitty SG? Fuck off." was an actual response, and I got a few similar to that. They're probably all playing on generic strats, having no imagination whatsoever. As for me, I wont pretend I know what a Gibson SG is, but I'll give you a bag of credit for choosing something that's not a Fender or a Stratocaster; and I look forward to hearing you playing them.

Sean
Sugar Bum

Post by Sean » Thu May 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Oh dear, apologies for any abuse suffered because of this thread.

"Shitty" SG's are the legendary guitar as used by one Angus Young of AC/DC, probably one of the biggest selling artists of all time. But they probably are shitty though...it's probably just me....!

Buy those classic cars! Do it!! Live for the day!! etc etc>?
iPOP

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Fri May 25, 2007 12:14 am

No worries. I'm sorry I couldn't find one for you. Or a Telecaster. I love the sound of a Telecaster, nice clear and jangly sound, absolutely made the difference between Travis' first two albums (had Telecaster, sounded great) and their second two albums (not a Telecaster, sounded malty)

I took the time to bother to look at what an SG is. It's not a bad thing at all, rather nice actually. I can't see what anyone would have against it, unless they're not very good at playing.

Thanks for the advice. I will take it. Notice I didn't mention what car I was going to get? I might have got a similar response as I got when asking about the guitar. The Ford Capri often polarises opinions; you either love it, hate it, or don't know anything about it. I'm buying a trio, one for me, one for my brother's birthday present, and one between us to use for parts and spares.

Good luck with university. Are you studying music?

Sean
Sugar Bum

Post by Sean » Fri May 25, 2007 7:42 am

My Uncle Jack (self-proclaimed "strongest man in Yorkshire" - was a junior regional boxing champ apparently) had a capri, it was amazing...gotta love a capri...

Yeah kind of, I'm doing music production at Uni, bit worried as I know very little about the technical side of that sort of thing...hopefully it'll pay off though
iPOP

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Fri May 25, 2007 11:03 am

You'll do alright with music production, it pretty easy. I do it as a hobby.

Just don't let 'the rules' mess with your music. I see it a lot in artists, they go to college, and their creativity bends to the mean, it becomes more generic. They say its because it's getting better, but surely art (including music) is better as a more original creation. Real art is about creation, not about being acceptable to an audience. Andy Hawkins of Midget never let his knowledge of prodution spoil his musical originality (much) and I'm sure you wont either.

Did Andy Hawkins produce that band you played with, The Pigeon Detectives?

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Sat May 26, 2007 6:05 pm

after playing one in a shop in Liverpool i want a Phantom Teardrop (solid, six string, sunburst) - http://www.phantomguitars.com/
honey pie, i don't know when it started, just stop buying your albums from the supermarket. They only sell records that have charted.

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Sat May 26, 2007 8:09 pm

William wrote:after playing one in a shop in Liverpool i want a Phantom Teardrop (solid, six string, sunburst) - http://www.phantomguitars.com/
Weird coincidence, that site has a picture of Chris Martin on the front, and I was just listening to Chris Martin singing on a cover version by Ash of The Buzzcocks song Everybody's Happy Nowadays. The guitar looks nice, but it'd be difficult to grab the really high frets at the close end of the neck.

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Sun May 27, 2007 1:33 pm

i'd probably use it mostly for rhythm playing. to tell you the truth unless i get a new job soon i'll probably never even own it.

i've got that Ash song i think. i stopped buying Ash records quite a while after i stopped being interested in Ash. i was hoping they'd do something ace again, but i doubt they ever will :(
honey pie, i don't know when it started, just stop buying your albums from the supermarket. They only sell records that have charted.

Sean
Sugar Bum

Post by Sean » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 am

Ash G wrote:Andy Hawkins of Midget never let his knowledge of prodution spoil his musical originality (much) and I'm sure you wont either.

Did Andy Hawkins produce that band you played with, The Pigeon Detectives?
The man in question produces their b-sides at the moment I believe, they recorded the album at Soundworks in Leeds, but then I hear it had to be passed onto Cenzo Townsend and some other big wig for remixing and such.

I just know they have recently been recording some b-sides at Pravda which is where we go
iPOP