Oober-Future: The Ooberman Roadmap

Discussion related to Ooberman and side-projects.

Moderator: Chantal

JEFF
Lavender Blue

Post by JEFF » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:43 am

Nice one Dan - don't listen to those saying 2008 is too long - good music takes time, we all know that. Rather a great album than a hastily released one.

Chantal
Sugar Bum

Post by Chantal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:19 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Suede's "Sci-Fi Lullabies" collection is great...
I was going to mention Sci-Fi Lullabies too :D Tis indeed fab.

Dan Pop
Lavender Blue

Post by Dan Pop » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:14 pm

Hmm.. yes there is a lot of material. Some thoughts:

TWO ALBUMS?

Maybe rather than a double album it should be two albums - a b sides album and a rarities album released together, though the quality would be pretty ropey on the rarities one sorry - authentic chewed tape effects, recordings abondoned because no one liked them and so on. Well maybe it won't be THAT bad.

What you think of a 2-album plan? It could still be a 2-part set, but this way we could charge twice as much £££ ! :-) Not that we'd see any money anyway... we still owe Cargo £4000, but once that's paid off we're home and dry and making a living out of music again.

NO INDEPENDIENTE B SIDES

Unfortunately it will be too difficult to get old b-sides from Independiente (anyone noticed how we're giving them away on the jukebox but not any Rotodisc b-sides?), so it would be Rotodisc-only b-sides. Any requests? Or you just want all of them, including Bluebell Morning EP tracks?

THE MAGIC THEATRE ALBUM

Who can say if it will be good or even get finished, but this new album if all goes to plan will have more time, money and effort spent on it and the marketing than Carried Away so don't see it as a stop gap, I'm seeing it more as Hey Petrunko Part Two... And indeed I dare say all of Ooberman will be playing on this thing - recordings have already been made with me soph and steve... Andy's sure to be on there soon. Well, we'll see... Even Kelly offered his services a while ago, imagine that.

Wayne
Beany Bean

Post by Wayne » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:03 pm

Wow - an Allan Kelly return - is he still wearing a body warmer?

As for a 2-disc rarities collection with EVERYTHING on it - my heart says good idea, my head - maybe not.
As fans we certainly want EVERYTHING, but if the quality of scrapped recordings is not good, do you want to run the risk of ruining Ooberman's good reputation with a wider audience...
Maybe it could be a fans only release or a single disc with a limited number of second CDs which fans can apply for through the web-site or something... just a thought.

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:35 pm

I think Hefner came across a similar dilemma in compiling their Catfight compilation of unreleased stuff. They had 2 CD worth... 1 CD was really good, the other a bit dodgy. Darren Hayman said he went the 2CD option because if it was a band he was a big fan of (I think he used the example of the Bee Gees :roll: ) then he'd want everything no matter how low in quality..... that said, it's an individual choice... and with due consideration I've no doubt that the band will make a good decision.

REQUESTS? (Mainly because they were vinyl only or hard to get)

Running Girl (Pierced Teen Indie Club Mix) (+ any other mixes?)
Behind My Shield
Today's The Day (Part II)
Spirit Of Adventure
Heavy Duty (Jap Hey Petrunko version)
Rosie Mel

+ what you think are the best songs from Rare Oob.

Cool.

Retro. :)

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:50 am

whatever the flipside of the 10" i bought off eBay was. oh, nevermind, that was Independiente anyway. Beeswax is what i am talking about.
honey pie, i don't know when it started, just stop buying your albums from the supermarket. They only sell records that have charted.

James
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by James » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:27 am

Non-compressed version of the Heavy Duty download.

StefanC
Beany Bean

Post by StefanC » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Dan Pop wrote:Hmm.. yes there is a lot of material. Some thoughts:

TWO ALBUMS?

Maybe rather than a double album it should be two albums - a b sides album and a rarities album released together, though the quality would be pretty ropey on the rarities one sorry - authentic chewed tape effects, recordings abondoned because no one liked them and so on. Well maybe it won't be THAT bad.

I would be interested to hear how will these differ from the b-sides, rarities and radio oob cds that came out in 2003?

Dan Pop wrote: Any requests? Or you just want all of them, including Bluebell Morning EP tracks?

More would be more in this case. Request-wise I would like the see internet and vinyl only releases, as these would help fill the gaps in my collection of your music.

Dan Pop wrote: THE MAGIC THEATRE ALBUM

Who can say if it will be good or even get finished, but this new album if all goes to plan will have more time, money and effort spent on it and the marketing than Carried Away so don't see it as a stop gap, I'm seeing it more as Hey Petrunko Part Two....
Sounds great. All your material has been consistently good - and anything post the 2003 break-up is a real bonus - looking forward to ordering it...

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:56 am

Dan Pop wrote: NO INDEPENDIENTE B SIDES
Perhaps some low-budget re-recordings of the Independiente era tracks?

Just a thought to throw in there... it's not really essential.

Retro. :)

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:27 pm

no, that's probably prohibited by their contract with Independiente. they think of everything, those bastard record company lawyers.
honey pie, i don't know when it started, just stop buying your albums from the supermarket. They only sell records that have charted.

JEFF
Lavender Blue

Post by JEFF » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:10 pm

The 2 album idea is a good one, with the ropey rarities disc being marketed as such, and as limited. I think |I speak for Oob fans in saying that we want to hear even the ropey stuff, and we'd be willing to pay for it. It doesn't have to be a big enough release to pick up unwanted bad press.

And by ropey, are we talking about more Love Shit Richochet type songs with some tape glitches? Cos I love that song! With all its flaws.

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:31 am

more Love Shit Richochet type songs with some tape glitches? Cos I love that song! With all its flaws.
Agreed. I like the song, it's amazing, and the tape errors are so acceptable.

Ooberman have experimented with many types of music, thrash, electronica, indie, ska and stuff, bloody allsorts really. I'd like to put forward a suggestion which I've only ever heard one band attempt. Ooberman, you're double dared to make some calypso rock

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:46 pm

Ash G wrote:I agree, I like the plan but not the timescale.
I retract my statement.

Ooberman and Midget reformed at a similar time. So far from "Oob etc" we've had, as you well know, Carried Away, The Snow Queen and Waiting For The Sonic Boom. We're about to get The Lost Tapes, and then The Magic Theatre. Maybe it seemed like a long way away back then, but soon we'll have five new albums; and Midget have only done one new song.
I suppose I should mention Complex Four. There, I just did.

Wayne
Beany Bean

Post by Wayne » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 am

These surely are good days...

OoberMark
Beany Bean

Post by OoberMark » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 am

(魔法の劇場)

DAN....

DAN!

DAN......

DAN!
DAN!
DAN!

DAN....

DAN...........!

Any chance of a little more detail on The Magic Theatre project....

Will it feature the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra?

Will Sophie make angelic 'Ahhhhhh' noises or sing?

Can you play a banjo?

Will it have epic style songs (Bluebell Morning) or more innocent songs (Flashing Light At Sunset)?

Do you own a banjo?

Is it going to have a song called 'I sold my soul for gravy'?

Can we have a tiny sample of whats to come..?

Will you play a banjo?

Please.

Dan....

Dan.

Dan.

Dan....

DAN!
DAN!
DAN!

DAN!

Dan......

You can tell me some lies about the good times that you've had.
But I've kissed your mother once and now I'm working on your Dad.

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:07 pm

Bluebell Morning isn't epic.

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:38 pm

William wrote:Bluebell Morning isn't epic.
It's a perspective thing. Compare it to that "Mr Blobby" song from days gone by.

Seems more epic now, doesn't it?

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:59 pm

are you kidding? the Mr Blobby song was epic to end all epics.

OoberMark
Beany Bean

Post by OoberMark » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:58 am

William wrote:Bluebell Morning isn't epic.
Ooohhhhhh it is.... Coldplay was on the radio when I wrote it and let’s face it. I could have released a small girly whimper of a fart at the time and that would have sounded epic.

Not to say that Bluebell Morning needs coldplay to sound epic.

It is Epic in its own right. Your ears are mocking you...

If it was any more epic it would have to change its name to Epic Morning.

I had an epic morning once.

It involved a double glazed window, a balloon & me weeing a little....

Ahhhh happy days....
You can tell me some lies about the good times that you've had.
But I've kissed your mother once and now I'm working on your Dad.

Dan-Pop
Buster

Post by Dan-Pop » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:49 am

In answer to your questions...

DAN....

yes i hear you

DAN!

DAN......

ok ok

DAN!
DAN!
DAN!

DAN....

DAN...........!

Any chance of a little more detail on The Magic Theatre project....

>Its theme is love and time travel, with very orchestral elements. The music is written, some is recorded but no words are ready.

Will it feature the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra?

>It will have some members of the orchestra playing but not the full one.

Will Sophie make angelic 'Ahhhhhh' noises or sing?

>she will sing, it's all big fat songs

Can you play a banjo?

nope

Will it have epic style songs (Bluebell Morning) or more innocent songs (Flashing Light At Sunset)?

i think... it will have epic style songs mostly. far more epic than bluebell morning. in places it will be ORCHESTRAL METAL

Do you own a banjo?

>nope

Is it going to have a song called 'I sold my soul for gravy'?

<sigh>

Can we have a tiny sample of whats to come..?

nope

Will you play a banjo?

Please.

Dan....

Dan.

Dan.

Dan....

DAN!
DAN!
DAN!

DAN!

Dan......