Oober-Future: The Ooberman Roadmap

Discussion related to Ooberman and side-projects.

Moderator: Chantal

Dan Pop
Lavender Blue

Oober-Future: The Ooberman Roadmap

Post by Dan Pop » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:32 pm

The following events shall come to pass...

Christmas 2009: Limited hush hush release of the debut 'London Town' album by The Magic Theatre, so you can have it for Christmas :-)

Jan 2009: Official general release of said album

After then the crystal ball becomes misty. You must cross our palms with silver (buy the album) to hear more.
Last edited by Dan Pop on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne
Beany Bean

Post by Wayne » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

barra
Buster

Post by barra » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:21 pm

This is a good thing. But over a year to wait until another Oob album? If Andy's project is called Ooberon then the "Oob" references could get confusing.

You'll have to tour the rarities album I expect, won't you? Or you could re-release Carried Away with a new track in order to make a load of money, and then tour that? Please don't do that though, you've got a bit more class than Razorlight.

HP+? :)
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

StefanC
Beany Bean

Re: Oober-Future: The Ooberman Roadmap

Post by StefanC » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Dan Pop wrote:In an ideal world the following events shall come to pass...

December 2006: Symphonika 'The Snow Queen' released
Feb 2007: 'Waiting for the Sonic Boom' by Andy Flett's Ooberon
April 2007: Ooberman B-Sides and Rarities Album
September 2007: 'The Magic Theatre' album - new orchestral/electronic project of Dan and Sophia - experimental pop songs with a full orchestra and choir
2008: Ooberman album 4

Of course... this all depends on nervous breakdowns, laziness, acts of God and the end of the world not happening.

Dan
Sounds great to me. Nothing like making up for lost time and all that... :D

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:19 pm

Looks brilliant... the last two of those scheduled items are of particular interest!

So great to have Ooberman (and side projects) back!

In relation to the B-sides and rarities, can you please make it an absolutely choc-o-block double disc? The reason I think this would be good is because B-sides and rarities by their nature are generally lesser works than singles/album tracks and were not intended to be assembled into a cohesive album - therefore there is no expectation from anyone that they should form a cohesive 12-track album to match the calibre of your last 2 albums. These songs have already been recorded, and so there is negligable cost associated with the inclusion of more tracks (unless we're talking licensing on non-Rotodisc recordings etc.). Because the quality of the songs will not be up to the standard of usual Ooberman album/single releases, quantity can be used to compensate for that... and since a compile like this is only ever going to appeal to hardcore fans anyway, you know that we'll love whatever you put on there (especially if it's Spirit Of Adventure!).

Well that was my 2 cents worth. Thought I'd better get it in there now before the project gets too far advanced. Speak now or forever hold your peace, as they say...

Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

James
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by James » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:47 pm

2008? Not acceptable.

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:55 pm

I agree, I like the plan but not the timescale.
On the B-sides & Rare Songs, can we also have a few Alternative Versions? Maybe some videos, some live stuff too. Maybe even a radio session. You could probably do a 10-disc box set...

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:08 am

Ash G wrote:I agree, I like the plan but not the timescale.
On the B-sides & Rare Songs, can we also have a few Alternative Versions? Maybe some videos, some live stuff too. Maybe even a radio session. You could probably do a 10-disc box set...
I like that even better than my proposed 2CD edition! :lol: Throw in all the "incrementally developed" versions of Hey Petrunko and you'd have a lot of material!

Wayne
Beany Bean

Post by Wayne » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:46 am

retrofuturist wrote:B-sides and rarities by their nature are generally lesser works than singles/album tracks
I've always thought Ooberman's B-sides are far better than many of the album tracks - Golden Fall for example has to be a top 5 in any oober-fan's fave list...

And I don't mind waiting until 2008 - it's almost 2007 now :lol:

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:02 am

Wayne wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:B-sides and rarities by their nature are generally lesser works than singles/album tracks
I've always thought Ooberman's B-sides are far better than many of the album tracks - Golden Fall for example has to be a top 5 in any oober-fan's fave list...

And I don't mind waiting until 2008 - it's almost 2007 now :lol:
There are indeed some wonderful Ooberman b-sides. I'm quite partial to Heroes And Villains myself.

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:26 am

retrofuturist wrote:I like that even better than my proposed 2CD edition! :lol: Throw in all the "incrementally developed" versions of Hey Petrunko and you'd have a lot of material!

That's right, Mr Pop. We tell you what to do, and you do it. There's a hell of a lot of material that's built up, easily enough for something very grand indeed.

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:39 am

Heheheh... soon it will be looking something like this...

http://www.discogs.com/release/100630

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:54 am

Bloody funk! 50 CD set, and lots of promo gear too. Yeah, go on Ooberman, do that!

Chantal
Sugar Bum

Post by Chantal » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:31 am

retrofuturist wrote:The reason I think this would be good is because B-sides and rarities by their nature are generally lesser works than singles/album tracks and were not intended to be assembled into a cohesive album
I agree they weren't intended to make a cohesive album, but I don't expect that from b-side and rarity compilations, as that's just not what they are. I wouldn't buy one expecting that! I don't think that's a bad thing.

I also have to disagree with the 'lesser works' statement - some of my favourite songs by a lot of my favourite bands are b-sides. Just because they didn't quite fit on an album, or were recorded at the wrong time to make it onto an album, doesn't make them less worthy. Infact my absolute favourite Ooberman track is Moth To A Flame. Love that song so much.

But yes, I like the look of the timeplan very much. Not long until The Snow Queen's released now, which should make great Winter listening. Am also v v excited about the Ooberon album - the clips on MySpace are brilliant! That in itself would probably tide me over until 2008 for the new Oob album - but the prospect of a Rarities album and then also an album from Dan and Sophia's new side-project all next year will definitely sate my ooberlust. He he, there's a phrase I wasn't planning on coming out with.

Am hoping the B-sides & Rarities album will contain at least a few things we won't already have though? Things not on Rare Oob?

And waiting 2 years between albums is really not bad at all!! Am used to waiting muuuuuch longer. :D

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:57 am

For sure, sometimes b-sides are better than album tracks, but generally they're not. Hence, why I said "generally" :wink:

Some of my other favourite bands like My Life Story, Carter USM and Pet Shop Boys are known for their wonderful b-sides... I'll happy import CD singles by my favourite bands, knowing that the calibre of their b-sides will be better than 99% of the output of most other bands.

I think my favourite b-side ever would be Waiting To Explode by My Life Story, closely followed by New Order's 1963.

OoberMark
Beany Bean

Post by OoberMark » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:00 am

Anyone else enjoying the thought of Chantal having ooberlust?
You can tell me some lies about the good times that you've had.
But I've kissed your mother once and now I'm working on your Dad.

Chantal
Sugar Bum

Post by Chantal » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:26 am

retrofuturist wrote:For sure, sometimes b-sides are better than album tracks, but generally they're not. Hence, why I said "generally" :wink:
He he, fair point. I still personally disagree though :wink: I reckon b-sides are 'generally' just as good as any other tracks! Maybe I'm biased though in that my favourite song ever (Catatonia - That's All Folks) just happens to be a b-side! Though granted it was only a b-side because Warners wouldn't let them put it on International Velvet. He he he.
OoberMark wrote:Anyone else enjoying the thought of Chantal having ooberlust?
Ha ha, I do like to keep you all happy :wink:

Ash G
Sugar Bum

Post by Ash G » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:34 pm

I have a Symposium b-sides collection with 43 tracks on, and I think they're all awesome. There's a few bands just don't do bad songs, even if they're only b-sides, and Ooberman are one of those few.

William
Hand That Gets Burnt

Post by William » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:05 pm

Oasis are weird. they're one of the few bands that seem to *only* do good songs on their B-sides. The Masterplan is so far above anything else they've done it's unbelievable
honey pie, i don't know when it started, just stop buying your albums from the supermarket. They only sell records that have charted.

retrofuturist
Lavender Blue

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:57 pm

Suede's "Sci-Fi Lullabies" collection is great... I'd probably prefer to listen to that than one of their albums.

I was thinking about this on the train and there's been some great singles start their lives as b-sides.... off the top of my head I could think of 4...

Can You Dig It? by The Mock Turtles
How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
1963 by New Order
Paninaro by Pet Shop Boys