ooberman.net update

Discussion related to Ooberman and side-projects.

Moderator: Chantal

Dan-Pop
Buster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 4:38 pm
Contact:

Post by Dan-Pop »

ok ok fair enough...

i'll have to take it down then... how u still getting it when i changed the folder names? you got software that snoops around the server?

dan

James
Hand That Gets Burnt
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:26 pm
Location: Manchester

Post by James »

Dan-Pop wrote:how u still getting it when i changed the folder names?  you got software that snoops around the server?
We used something called Jim Chem.

rainbowpants
Buster
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Ceefax page 356
Contact:

Post by rainbowpants »

Hey sui! There's nothing illegal about it, fans are bound to want to hear it, and as long as they realise that theres an onus to keep it schtum then nothing bad has really happened at all, in fact I think dan should look at this as the perfect opportunity to get some feedback (perhaps in private) about the album (even if it is from scallies*).


As for it still being available, if for some reason you can't lock the files, then why not just register a new random domain, its only about £10 a year.




*A strange form of scally that buys things from you.
Neither here nor there, a quantum affair!

Chem
Beany Bean
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Walsall

Post by Chem »

James wrote:
Dan-Pop wrote:how u still getting it when i changed the folder names?  you got software that snoops around the server?
We used something called Jim Chem.


Using the sophisticated method of tying in random folder names, i was able to find the files :blink:


if you are gnna change the names of folders you should probably not make them so obvious! i mean come on! /ca/ its the initials for the name of the album! and /7in/ its a seven inch single! and /artwork/ and /art/ also very easy, and only took about half an hour!




P.S Sui best reply ever!
Last edited by Chem on Thu May 04, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Wayne
Beany Bean
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:24 pm

Post by Wayne »

Call me old-fashioned, I don't want to hear it until it's out.
If it is a subtle marketing ploy by Danny it's certainly worked and got everyone's appetite wetted.
But if it's not, for those people who've got them, please don't spread them round. We've only just got Ooberman back, the last thing we want is for them to get pissed off and quit again...

rainbowpants
Buster
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Ceefax page 356
Contact:

Post by rainbowpants »

Chem wrote:
James wrote:
Dan-Pop wrote:how u still getting it when i changed the folder names?  you got software that snoops around the server?
We used something called Jim Chem.


Using the sophisticated method of tying in random folder names, i was able to find the files :blink:


if you are gnna change the names of folders you should probably not make them so obvious! i mean come on! /ca/ its the initials for the name of the album! and /7in/ its a seven inch single! and /artwork/ and /art/ also very easy, and only took about half an hour!




P.S Sui best reply ever!

Jim, it is your sophistication, as demonstrated here, that makes me dangerously attracted to you.
Neither here nor there, a quantum affair!

LifeInANutshell
Not A Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:58 pm
Contact:

Post by LifeInANutshell »

Wayne wrote:Call me old-fashioned, I don't want to hear it until it's out...
...We've only just got Ooberman back, the last thing we want is for them to get pissed off and quit again...
Completely agree Wayne: the attitude of some of these "fans" would be more than enough to piss me right off. Its like they don't want Ooberman to make a good comeback! People make mistakes.. especially with technology (albeit sometimes deliberatly) there is really no need to jump in with the knives :(

I am a newbie by the way. Signed up because I saw the Oobermen (+woman) were back.. damn glad about that too. I am more than happy to wait for the album and trust their judgement about when it should be released (or not).
Last edited by LifeInANutshell on Fri May 05, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowpants
Buster
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Ceefax page 356
Contact:

Post by rainbowpants »

LifeInANutshell wrote:
Wayne wrote:Call me old-fashioned, I don't want to hear it until it's out...
...We've only just got Ooberman back, the last thing we want is for them to get pissed off and quit again...
Completely agree Wayne: the attitude of some of these "fans" would be more than enough to piss me right off. Its like they don't want Ooberman to make a good comeback! People make mistakes.. especially with technology (albeit sometimes deliberatly) there is really no need to jump in with the knives :(

I am a newbie by the way. Signed up because I saw the Oobermen (+woman) were back.. damn glad about that too. I am more than happy to wait for the album and trust their judgement about when it should be released (or not).

I think you're being a bit harsh there. We all want ooberman to make a good comeback, and its safe to say that we're all going to buy everything they release and none of us will distribute the unintended pre-release. I can understand that dan is upset because I would be too if I made a mistake like that, but operationally, nothing has changed. If this was to have an effect on ooberman then it would be an over-reaction and not the fault of the fans.

I do however think that maybe its a good idea if those of us that have heard the album don't talk about it, so that we don't spoil it for those who haven't heard it, or cause them any unnecesary frustration.

Also, could you be more specific about what definition of the word 'fan' you feel warrants the use of those most flattering quotation marks?
Neither here nor there, a quantum affair!

Chem
Beany Bean
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Walsall

Post by Chem »

Wayne wrote:I am a newbie by the way. Signed up because I saw the Oobermen (+woman) were back.. damn glad about that too. I am more than happy to wait for the album and trust their judgement about when it should be released (or not).


urm, what do you mean +woman? do you know somthing that i dont know? was soph just a really got transvestite befor, and has had the op in the last 3 years?
Last edited by Chem on Fri May 05, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

rainbowpants
Buster
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Ceefax page 356
Contact:

Post by rainbowpants »

Chem wrote:
LifeInANutshell wrote: I am a newbie by the way. Signed up because I saw the Oobermen (+woman) were back.. damn glad about that too. I am more than happy to wait for the album and trust their judgement about when it should be released (or not).


urm, what do you mean +woman? do you know somthing that i dont know? was soph just a really got transvestite befor, and has had the op in the last 3 years?

I think she's making a feminist point (and a good one, Nietzsche was a bastard! ;) ).
Last edited by rainbowpants on Fri May 05, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neither here nor there, a quantum affair!

Chem
Beany Bean
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Walsall

Post by Chem »

I am confused, please explain
Image

rainbowpants
Buster
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Ceefax page 356
Contact:

Post by rainbowpants »

Chem wrote:I am confused, please explain
Sui can correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed that ooberman's name comes from a play on uberman, which was an idealistic kind of human being envisioned by Nietzsch (a philosopher who later had his work misread and exploited by the Nazi's). Ubermen were hypothetical intellectuals who had 'conquered themselves' in the sense that their mind was in complete order. Although he had some rad ideas, Nietzsche was a nasty misogynist ("You are going to women? Do not forget the whip!") which I guess is why we have ubermen and not uberpeople. So there is a implicit, yet surely unintentional, anti-feminist reference in the name ooberman.




.....most......over.....analytic......post.......ever.......
Last edited by rainbowpants on Fri May 05, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neither here nor there, a quantum affair!

Dan-Pop
Buster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 4:38 pm
Contact:

Post by Dan-Pop »

hello people! I read all this and thought i should say:

The reason i was bothered about the album leaking out to those select few was just that i thought it was spoiling the surprise. but as you say, maybe it's a good thing, a bit of intrigue at least, not that anyone cares anyway.

losing sales doesn't bother us. this release will *never* make any more than just enough to cover us for some time working on it. it's done for the enjoyment of doing it and the desire to share something that turned out well.

as long as the leakees like the thing and they're not putting everyone else off by saying it's shit, what harm can it do?

pah i'm supposed to be programming some samplers for a Frenchman just now... back to the grindstone.

Dan

"it's easy now to get carried away, carried away, carried away" sing along now ;-)

LifeInANutshell
Not A Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:58 pm
Contact:

Post by LifeInANutshell »

rainbowpants wrote:
LifeInANutshell wrote:
Wayne wrote: ...We've only just got Ooberman back, the last thing we want is for them to get pissed off and quit again...
I am more than happy to wait for the album and trust their judgement about when it should be released (or not).
I think you're being a bit harsh there. We all want ooberman to make a good comeback,
Also, could you be more specific about what definition of the word 'fan' you feel warrants the use of those most flattering quotation marks?
You are correct, I was being too harsh. I guess I just read through the thread and saw those comments and they wound me up.. chilled out a bit now. Sorry.. seriously. I am sure most people here hope that they go from strength to strength! :P

LifeInANutshell
Not A Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 4:58 pm
Contact:

Post by LifeInANutshell »

rainbowpants wrote:
Chem wrote:
LifeInANutshell wrote: I am a newbie by the way. Signed up because I saw the Oobermen (+woman)
urm, what do you mean +woman?
I think she's making a feminist point (and a good one, Nietzsche was a bastard! ;) ).
She? Not sure if your talking about me, but I'm a bloke. Don't worry.. its wouldn't be the first time someone mistook me for a woman. What does that mean? :unsure: :D
Last edited by LifeInANutshell on Fri May 05, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Hand That Gets Burnt
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:26 pm
Location: Manchester

Post by James »

Dan-Pop wrote:hello people!  I read all this and thought i should say:

The reason i was bothered about the album leaking out to those select few was just that i thought it was spoiling the surprise.  but as you say, maybe it's a good thing, a bit of intrigue at least, not that anyone cares anyway.

losing sales doesn't bother us. this release will *never* make any more than just enough to cover us for some time working on it.  it's done for the enjoyment of doing it and the desire to share something that turned out well.

as long as the leakees like the thing and they're not putting everyone else off by saying it's shit, what harm can it do?

pah i'm supposed to be programming some samplers for a Frenchman just now... back to the grindstone.

Dan

"it's easy now to get carried away, carried away, carried away" sing along now ;-)
Thanks Dan.

I can understand why it would bother you but you can't blame anyone for downloading it when it's there on a plate...

I'm just glad it's good. :)

rainbowpants
Buster
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Ceefax page 356
Contact:

Post by rainbowpants »

LifeInANutshell wrote:She? Not sure if your talking about me, but I'm a bloke. Don't worry.. its wouldn't be the first time someone mistook me for a woman. What does that mean?  :unsure:  :D

hehehe, sorry, that was very presumptious of me :D
Last edited by rainbowpants on Fri May 05, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neither here nor there, a quantum affair!

Roy D'Cour
Not A Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 3:13 am
Contact:

Post by Roy D'Cour »

Wow, I'm so happy to hear the news of ooberman's return! So glad I cam here to check out what's going on.. only to find this thread, where people are having a heated discussion that, if held in real life would probably break out in a fist fight! ahhh, it's just like old times........ :)
Good to have you back. ;)



Also, what's this about midget reforming? :o
this is almost like going back to my old school....

JEFF
Lavender Blue
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:52 pm

Post by JEFF »

Roy D'Cour wrote:Wow, I'm so happy to hear the news of ooberman's return! So glad I cam here to check out what's going on.. only to find this thread, where people are having a heated discussion that, if held in real life would probably break out in a fist fight!  ahhh, it's just like old times........ :)
Good to have you back. ;)



Also, what's this about midget reforming?  :o

Check out www.insall.co.uk/midget

and

www.myspace.com/midgetinfo

They're playing live and writing new songs!
My fiction and script writing blog
http://www.jknottingham.blogspot.com

My music network website
http://www.cherryekko.com

Wayne
Beany Bean
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:24 pm

Post by Wayne »

Dan-Pop wrote:hello people!  I read all this and thought i should say:

The reason i was bothered about the album leaking out to those select few was just that i thought it was spoiling the surprise.  but as you say, maybe it's a good thing, a bit of intrigue at least, not that anyone cares anyway.

losing sales doesn't bother us. this release will *never* make any more than just enough to cover us for some time working on it.  it's done for the enjoyment of doing it and the desire to share something that turned out well.

as long as the leakees like the thing and they're not putting everyone else off by saying it's shit, what harm can it do?

pah i'm supposed to be programming some samplers for a Frenchman just now... back to the grindstone.

Dan

"it's easy now to get carried away, carried away, carried away" sing along now ;-)


People do care Dan, whose to say, if this hits the shops at the right time, gets a few good reviews we could see those references to Britain's version of the Flaming Lips being repeated... :)

Post Reply