Sunday Times article on The Magic Theatre

Discussion related to Ooberman and side-projects.

Moderator: Chantal

annoyingmouse
Not A Newbie

Sunday Times article on The Magic Theatre

Post by annoyingmouse » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Today's article on The Magic Theatre from The Sunday Times:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 147068.ece

:D

StefanC
Beany Bean

Re: Sunday Times article on The Magic Theatre

Post by StefanC » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:10 pm

Can't ask for more than that, really.

So, has fame and fortune beckoned, Dan?

Didn't know you were doing a PhD. But then again why should I? What aspects of time are you studying?

Dan-Pop
Buster

Post by Dan-Pop » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:23 pm

nope, no fame, and such fortune as i have has come through music for movie trailers, not this songwriting lark. The magic theatre, like every Ooberman album we ever did, has sold hardly anything and lost money. but that isn't the point, we loved doing it, I'm very happy with the end result and glad we got it out there for (some!) others to enjoy.

i'm not doing a PhD - I did apply and get accepted on a couple at 2 points in my life when I wobbled from the course of musical purity in the face of failure, but I got back on track just in time.

talking of time, it's the idea that time doesn't flow that interested me

:)

JEFF
Lavender Blue

Post by JEFF » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for continuing to make music for the love of it.
If the album lost money, are the label still willing to put out another 2?
My fiction and script writing blog
http://www.jknottingham.blogspot.com

My music network website
http://www.cherryekko.com

Dan-Pop
Buster

Post by Dan-Pop » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 pm

hi Jeff

The UK release of London Town was on our Rotodisc label, but the international release is planned by Elefant of Spain. Elefant know what they're doing so they might be able to sell a few :)

The next two albums are on Elefant - they've made it clear that they're all about releasing things they love, and they let their small number of big albums support their other less successful albums, so it's not like a big commercial pressure.

StefanC
Beany Bean

Post by StefanC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Dan-Pop wrote:nope, no fame, and such fortune as i have has come through music for movie trailers, not this songwriting lark. The magic theatre, like every Ooberman album we ever did, has sold hardly anything and lost money. but that isn't the point, we loved doing it, I'm very happy with the end result and glad we got it out there for (some!) others to enjoy.

i'm not doing a PhD - I did apply and get accepted on a couple at 2 points in my life when I wobbled from the course of musical purity in the face of failure, but I got back on track just in time.

talking of time, it's the idea that time doesn't flow that interested me

Very sorry to hear that Dan. But its good to hear that Elefant will take on the next two.

Its a really great album. But I guess I would say that.

Ok the PhD issue is clearer now.

The time thing is fascinating. As a side product of my day job I have had to get into history and philosopy of science as well as some of the central tenets of physics, in particular the concept of invariance. Although I had been previously vaguely familiar with some of the key concepts, I hadnt until recently really appreciated the whole spacetime thing. Actually, I found Brian Cox's Why does e=mc2 book a particuarly good explanation of the key issues.

I guess that given the proposed paradox-related requirment that movement in time is uni-directional, does this mean that in the Magic Theatre story the leading male character spends his time leaping forward? Or has he discovered a loop hole in the science? :D

Dan-Pop
Buster

Post by Dan-Pop » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:57 pm

the magic theatre hero goes to a place outside of time and space, in the magic theatre, which conveniently and mysteriously is able to plop you back into the continuum at any arbitrary point.

it's beyond human comprehension, which is why i can't explain it.

Jonfaro
Lavender Blue

Post by Jonfaro » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Hmm I did my best Dan, bought two copies and need to buy a third for a friend.